(Free) This is a very special project and now a core element in our education. We hope to see it grow and foster links with more local young people, and with educational insitutions abroad.
Our International Student Programme provides a unique opportunity for young people of diverse backgrounds age 18-27 to visit England for a short time. Here they can: (i) learn a range of skills in horticulture, conservation, art & design, and other subjects; (ii) immerse themselves in and learn about British culture and society. (iii) take part in local community activities. Usual period of stay is between and 2 and 10 weeks.
It also provides an opportunity for local people to meet students from different cultures and backgrounds and increase their understanding of the world, and form friendships.
The foreign student can improve their English language, visit places of historical & cultural interest; familiarise themselves with Britsh society & customs and make new friends.
Subjects & Activities
1. Horticulture, arboriculture, landscape design, wildlife habitats.
2. Local conservation & wildlife.
3. Local landscape & geography & their historic parameters.
4. English language improvement.
5. British history, heritage and traditions.
6. Access to the extensive Library of the Trust.
7. Visits/studies of local architecture & venues/places of cultural & historic interest.
Our Ethos and Goals for Foreign Students
• To improve international friendship and break down barriers.
• To promote cultural understanding between different peoples and lands throughout the world.
• To enable people travelling on a limited budget to fully appreciate living and studying in a foreign environment.
• To enrich our local UK community by contact and with foreign students.
• To promote exchange and communication between people from different nationalities.
• To enable language learners to immerse themselves in their target language whilst living abroad.
• To enable young people of diverse backgrounds to meet challenge, improve their outlook and sense of responsibility, attain skills and self-confidence, and gain a stake in society and enrich their life and career prospects.
German Schools : 2019 saw the first placement in association with a School in Europe. A German student from a school in Berlin for 10 weeks (March to June). We look forward to links with other schools in Germany.